The Foundation announced the recipients of its inaugural grant program, supporting the advanced laboratory physics association (ALPhA) immersions. This joint ALPhA/APT faculty development program brings college and university faculties into close collaboration with other faculty mentors to develop experimental teaching skills in areas outside of their expertise. The Foundation is now supporting this successful program by providing funds for the purchase of the apparatus studied in these immersions. (SEE GRANTS & PROGRAMS TAB)

The inaugural year, 2014-2015, the Foundation funded twelve out of the sixteen applications, with a total funding of about $38,000. The following schools received grants:

Berea College
Clemson University
Emory University
Francis Marion University
Lawrence Technical University
St. Lawrence University
Troy University
Union College
University of Laverne
University of Scranton
Valparaiso University
Whitworth University
Troy Messina
Chad Sosolik
Jed Brody
R. Seth Smith
Changgong Zhou
Catherine Jahncke
Quratulann Ijaz
Seyfollah Maleki
Vanessa Preisler
Juan Serna
Adam Gibson-Even
John Larkin
Single Photon Quantum Optics
Plasma Physics
Single Photon Quantum Mechanics
X-Ray Physics
Faraday Rotation
Surface Plasmon Resonance
Compton Effect
Surface Plasmon Resonance
Faraday Rotation
Quantum Entanglement
Plasma Physics
Single Photon Quantum Optics


The second year, 2015-2016, the Foundation funded $67,170 to 14 schools (out of 17 applications). The schools, faculty, and experiments for 2015-2016 are listed below:

Appalachian State University
Arkansas Tech University
Bringham Young University
Eastern Nazarene College
Francis Marion University
Marquette University
Marquette University
Muhlenberg College
University of the South, Sewanee
St. John’s University
St. Mary’s College
University of Scranton
Washington College
Xavier University
Brooke Hester
Jessica Young
Nathan Powers
Jill Macko
R. Seth Smith
Brian Bennett
Tim Tharp
Brett Fadem
Eugenii Donev
Matt ArchMiller
Erin DePree
Declan Mulhall
Derek Thuecks
Laura Wessel
Surface Plasmon Physics
Laser Interferometry
Mode-Lock Ultrafast Fiber Laser
Time Resolved Optical Spectroscopy
Diode Laser Spectroscopy
Quantized Conductance
Plasma Physics
Fourier Methods
Diode Laser Spectroscopy
Electrical Breakdown in Plasmas
Radio Telescope
Diode Laser Spectroscopy
Plasma Physics
Atomic Force Microscopy


Because these awards are for 40% of the cost of the apparatus, with the schools committing the other 60%, the Foundation’s grant program alone is responsible for adding over $263,000 worth of new advanced laboratory experiments in the USA!

At the October annual Board meeting, the Board authorized $68,000 to be awarded in 2017 Immersion Grants. This total includes the $7,500 from Barbara Wolff-Reichert for her special grant.